Extracting data from a web page in Zapier using JavaScript

In this case, my objective was to extract specific data from one of my blog posts, so I can use Zapier to automatically share the post for me on social media. I started by creating a Push trigger, that will allow me to manually start my script on an open web page using the Chrome extension for Zapier. From here, I added a new action of the “Code” type, and configured it to pass through the URL from the push trigger. read more

2DRemix Devblog 2: Saving and image editing

Restored the ability to save changes, and create new images for tiles. Both of these were removed in a recent refactor, and in putting them back I took the time to improve on the user experience around them by taking advantage of some newer UI changes. Instead of automatically saving every time a tile is placed, you now save manually with a button next to the “play” controls. This gives you more control over the process, and should cut down on server load. read more

2DRemix Devblog 1: Editing mode

In the early days of its development, I’d envisioned 2DRemix as having a Minecraft-style persistent world - and I’d built the editing tools such that the world is edited by moving the player character through the world and editing it around them. As the focus now is on creating a great Game Creation System, I added a more traditional Unity-style editing mode, where you can edit an area freely without a player character present, and then press the play button to preview how an area plays out. read more

A postmortem of Rickshaw World, my LD#38 entry

This a postmortem for Ludum Dare #38 competition entry, Rickshaw World. If you haven’t tried it, you can play it now right from your web browser. Choosing an idea After pondering the Ludum Dare #38 theme a small world for about an hour, I’d come up with two ideas for games: A Twine interactive-fiction set on a generation ship. A 3D taxi-driver type game set on a small planetoid. read more

Creating a mobile version of your site in Rails 3.1

I recently added a mobile layout for Chess Microbase. To ensure the mobile content was just as optimized as the desktop version, and to help reduce the number of interactions (and therefore conflicts) between the desktop and mobile versions, I chose to make the mobile site run from separate view files. Here, I’ll give an explanation of how I made that work using Rails 3.1. I started with this helpful solution by Winfield Peterson on StackOverflow: read more